Failure Analysis and Life Assessment
Department of failure analysis and life assessment of Razi Applied science foundation (RASF) provide solutions and consulting for materials related services to local industries and various petroleum and other organizations. They utilizing the available resources at the RASF, the facilities are being organized by forming a small nucleus which would synergies among the departments, where resources and expertise are scattered, to provide one window services for material related problems. It would support a variety of industries by conducting Material Analysis (MA), Failure Analysis (FA), Life Assessment (LA) and providing Material & Process Advisory Services (MPAS). The facilities are already commenced to provide consultancy in the following areas:
- Failure Analysis of metal parts/components/systems by applying “root cause approach” with the aim to ensure avoidance of similar recurrences.
- Provision of advisory, services or both to the desirous manufactures for:
- Identifying/selecting metals & prcesses (including alternative solutions) essentially required for developing parts/components either a fresh or through reverse engineering.
- Inspectin of raw materials, on site processing of materials (including heat & surface treatments) and the finished items.
- Estimation of the status of parts/components/systems with view to:
- Recmmend necessary measures for their restoration (if required & possible).
- Determine the remaining “safe life period”, for their operational usage.
- Establish inspectin criterion & intervals for parts/components/systems during their “safe life period”.
- Training of Human Resource:
- Thrugh formal programs at IST.
- On-site training on need basis.
In order to provide above stated services/advisory FAC has opted to follow modern trends being practiced worldwide in such fields/domains. This approach suggests that:
- Only essentially required “state-of- the- art” facilities be established in house.
- A strong pragmatic collaborative network comprising of those organizations which already have some authenticated facilities be formed for gaining benefits of their expertise in specific areas and lowering the operational costs.
- A vibrant advisory board of domain experts (regardless of their geographical locations) be formed for sharing & exchanging experiences
- Organizations must remain connected & engaged with international community of practitioners & regulators of the domain, for remaining abreast with technological & conceptual developments
FAC plans to enhance the scope of its advisory/services gradually in a phased manner.